Introduction to Programming Using Java, Third Edition
News and Errata for Version 3.0
THIS PAGE LISTS changes and corrections that were made between Version 3.0 and 3.1 of Introduction to Programming Using Java. The most current version of the text can be found on-line at http://math.hws.edu/javanotes/. That page contains links for downloading the text. As of February 19, 2001, the downloadable archives contain Version 3.1.
- February 18, 2001. Version 3.1 of Introduction to Programming Using Java is released. It is a minor upgrade that incorporates the changes and corrections listed on this page. The major change is that modification and republication is now covered by the terms of the Open Publication License.
- February 15, 2001. A copy of this textbook has been added to Andamooka.org. Andamooka hosts open content books. Readers can annotate the books and read other user's annotations.
- October 20, 2000. Burks 5, the fifth edition of a collection of computer-science software for Windows, is now available on-line at http://burks.brighton.ac.uk/burks/index.htm. An inexpensive CD version of the site is also available. This includes a copy of this textbook at http://burks.brighton.ac.uk/burks/language/java/jnotes/index.htm.
- July 20, 2000. Sun, Inc., has listed this text on their "New to Java" page.
- May 24, 2000. The new third edition was completed and released today.
- July 20, 2000. I have added a search feature to the main page of the text. This might make up for the fact that the text does not have a conventional index. You can also use the search feature here.
- June 2, 2000. I added the note "This is nothing fancy -- just all the Web pages captured in a single file" to the description of javanotes3.pdf, to try to make sure that people understand what this is.
Note: These errors are fixed in the on-line version of the text on math.hws.edu. However, they are not fixed in the downloadable versions. (After errors have accumulated for a while, I will change the version number to 3.1, and I will make new downloadable archives.)
- November 21, 2000. An error in the quiz for Chapter 8:
- In c8/quiz.html, line 76, System.out.println(pic[i][j]) should be System.out.print(pic[i][j]).
The same correction should be made in the answers to the quiz, c8/quiz-answers.html, line 133.
(Without this change, the answer would be incorrect, because each character would be output on a separate line.)
- October 31, 2000. More substantive errors found by readers:
- In c2/s5.html (Section 2.5), line 255, "(x != 0) && (x/y > 1)" should be "(x != 0) && (y/x > 1)"
- In c5/s2.html (Section 5.2), line 250, "total1 = firstDice.die1 + secondDice.die2;"
should be "total1 = firstDice.die1 + firstDice.die2;".
The same error occurs in the sample programs RollTwoPairs.java and RollTwoPairsConsole.java.
(This is an example of an error where the program runs and gives
reasonable output, but isn't actually doing what it is supposed to do.)
- In c5/s3.html (Section 5.3), in both lines 341 and 346, the string "Your card is" should read ""Your card is the"
- October 24, 2000. A substantive error in a quiz answer:
- In c6/quiz-answers.html, line 151, g.fillRect(30,30,30,30) should be g.fillRect(30,30,40,40)
(This change is required for the square to be centered in the circle.)
- September 27, 2000. Another bad link:
- In source/index.html, line 100, <a href="Card.java">Deck.java</a> should be <a href="Deck.java">Deck.java</a>
- June 15, 2000. Some bad links:
- In source/index.html, line 473, ../c11/s6.html should be ../c11/s5.html
- In c6/s1.html, line 379, ../c5.index.html should be ../c5/index.html
- In c6/s4.html, line 65, href="s5" should be href="s5.html"
- In c11/s1.html, line 662, ../s10/index.html should be ../c10/index.html
- Some Typos:
- In c2/s1.html, line 145, java should be Java
- In c2/s2.html, line 214, such a tab should be such as a tab
- In c2/s3.html, line 166, Math.round should be Math.floor
- In c2/s3.html, line 228, remove the "+" at the end of the line
- In c2/quiz_answers.html, on lines 4, 10, and 15>, change "Chapter 1" to "Chapter 2" in page title, headline, and first paragraph
- In c6/index.html, line 18, event-driver should be event-driven
- In c11/s5.html, line 66, recipee should be recipe
[ Main Index ]